Forest Garden Shovelstrode Honey
Our own honey from our precious bees who scour the local countryside tirelessly to make their honey.
• 22,700 bees are required to fill a single jar of honey.
• Each honey bee will produce about a twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime – probably the amount left on your knife after spreading honey on your toast.
• 10 million foraging trips go into making one jar of honey, a distance of up to 50,000 miles – that’s equivalent to travelling twice around the globe!
• Honey has a virtually eternal shelf-life if kept sealed and apparently honey found in the pharaohs’ tombs in Egypt was still edible after 3,000 years
• Honey contains all of the substances needed to sustain life including enzymes, water, minerals and vitamins
• Honey contains pinocembrin an antioxidant that improves brain function.
We encourage many people, through our popular bee keeping courses, to increase the number of bee colonies. We extract a small percentage of the excess honey, making sure always that the bees have an abundance of their own supplies to see them through the winter. The supply of honey is completely determined by our success in helping them to thrive.
1lb per jar