Seasonal recipe - Leek and Potato Soup
It’s been a while since I posted a recipe. Every time a friend or wwoofer (volunteer) asks me how to make this soup – I promise myself I’ll post a blog about it. So here it is!
The leeks planted out late last year in our vegetable garden are now ready to pick and will be used in a good hearty leek and potato soup. This lovely soup will make you burst with energy, just as the garden is doing right now!
Leek and Potato Soup Ingredients:
1 medium onion
2 medium potatoes
2 sticks of celery
500g fresh leeks
2 pints vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
· Melt the butter in a saucepan over a moderate heat and sauté the onion and celery for a few minutes until soft.
· Peel both potatoes and cut up into cubes.
· Add the leeks and one of the chopped potatoes cooking gently until the leeks are soft and opaque in colour.
· Add the vegetable stock and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
· Remove a couple of soup ladles worth of vegetables and place in a separate bowl.
· Blend the rest of the vegetables up adding salt and pepper to taste.
· Return the pan to the heat, adding the vegetables put aside along with the other chopped up potato and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft.
· Serve up with some crusty bread - you can also add a swirl of cream to add a finishing touch. Delicious!